Love UECIDE? Why not consider supporting the development?

pre4 and USBasp?

pre4 and USBasp?

Postby vanepp » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:09 am

I need (eventually) to write the boot loader in to some 328P CPUs. I have a USBasp isp programmer, and UECIDE stable seems to recognize it as a possible programmer (not that I know how to either find an appropriate boot loader hex file nor how to make USBasp write it . the arduino site seems to say do this magical incantation and all will be well :-)) but pre4 only has ardude as the programmer. That works fine for the Uno (which already has a boot loader) and I know that the USBasp uses avrdude to do the work, will pre4 magically figure out that its there or is there more configuration that needs to go in to pre4? When I manage to figure out how to find and program boot code I can use stable so this isn't a big issue, more of a "here is something that may be missing in pre4". If there are instructions on writing boot code to a 328p using UECIDE around I couldn't find them with a search and would appreciate a pointer. From the arduino site it isn't clear to me (yet at least) if boot code is CPU or board specific. I'd expect not, but with it all being done under the covers in a "just do these steps and all will be well" way I don't yet know.

Peter
vanepp

I use UECIDE on: Windows

Re: pre4 and USBasp?

Postby matt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:29 pm

I need to create a programmer plugin for the USBasp. Should only take me a few minutes since the instructions for it are all in the core. They just need copying over and tweaking slightly.

There used to be a "Bootloader" plugin that you could download and install, but it has got out of step with the core and no longer functions. I need to update it for the new programmer plugin system so that it can operate properly. It used to take a bootloader HEX file distributed with a board's files and program it using any one of a pre-defined list of special bootloader programmers specified in the core. To use it it was necessary for a board to specifically specify the bootloader HEX file to use, so it couldn't be used to program just any HEX file - you would have to craft an entire board configuration to use it.

I am considering options for allowing direct HEX file uploads through the IDE as a way of encompassing both raw programming and bootloader programming.

For now you'll have to just use avrdude from the command line.
Why not visit my eBay shop? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Majenko-Technologies
Universal IDE: http://uecide.org
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

I use UECIDE on: Linux

Re: pre4 and USBasp?

Postby vanepp » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks, avrdude from the command line will be fine. This is pretty much a one time thing for 10 CPUs for me so it isn't a high priority for UECIDE anyway.

Peter
vanepp

I use UECIDE on: Windows

Return to Arduino / AVR