I have been playing with
arduino-cli recently, and I've been somewhat impressed.
With my experience of that, and a desire to maybe incorporate the ESP-IDF into UECIDE I am considering something radical...
- Rip out all UECIDE's compilation and board management completely, and just use it as a wrapper to
arduino-cli- or the compilation system of your choice.
It would be a massive change, and I'd appreciate the thoughts of others that use UECIDE.
It would mean:
- UECIDE's aggressive caching would go
- The plugin manager would vanish / radically change
- You'd not be able to install just the boards you need
- You would finally get 100% compatibility without those pesky compilation errors
- Have instant access to all the Arduino cores and boards without me having to manually port them
- Have more than just Arduino (such as ESP-IDF)
So UECIDE would become little more than an editor that is geared towards editing Arduino code.