Love UECIDE? Why not consider supporting the development?

User registrations are now disabled on this site.

We have a new forum system

>> Click here to try it out. <<

No programmer in uecide-0.8.9-pre3-full

No programmer in uecide-0.8.9-pre3-full

Postby vanepp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 am

I have the stable version uecide-0.8.8alpha22-full running successfully and able to program the Uno so I installed the beta on a different (but identical Win7 64) machine after noting in the debug console that UCEIDE is storing things in

Saved property file C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\preferences.txt

for instance and thus trying to run both the stable version and the beta on the same machine was likely doomed to failure (and indeed it produces ugly results!). I think it would be possible if you used different user ids as that should change the path to Appdata so the two versions don't overwrite each other, but a different machine seems safer anyway at the moment . So I did the same install on the beta: load, open plugin manager, select Uno board, install, update everything.
Then back to UCEIDE and select the Uno in Hardware _> Arduino --> Arduino Uno, set the com port to com3. However where stable has Hardware -> Programmers -> Upload direct to an Arduino board selected in the beta there are no
programmers listed and trying to compile and load blink dies with a "No programmer selected" error message in the error window. Is this a bug which should be reported or have I missed doing something I should have to load the programmer in the beta?
vanepp

I use UECIDE on: Windows

Re: No programmer in uecide-0.8.9-pre3-full

Postby matt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

The preview version has separated the programmers from the cores as separate entities in their own rights. I may not have all the package dependencies in place for auto installation of the programmer packages, so you may need to manually install the right programmer packages in the plugin manager.

There is provision to specify the data directory location to allow multiple parallel installations. There is a blog post all about it.

Sent from my One Mini 2 using Tapatalk
Why not visit my shop? http://majenko.co.uk/catalog
Universal IDE: http://uecide.org
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

I use UECIDE on: Linux

Postby matt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:16 am

Or there was a blog post somewhere. I can't find it right now. there are posts here for it though. Look for the -data-dir command line flag

Sent from my One Mini 2 using Tapatalk
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

Postby GastonLagaffe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 am

Salut,
to separate my two deployments on my windows PC is use:
C:\Opt\uecide-beta\UECIDE.exe --datadir="c:\UECIDEBETA"
C:\Opt\uecide-0.8.9-pre\UECIDE.exe --datadir="c:\UECIDEpre"

Ciao, Mathias
GastonLagaffe

Postby vanepp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm

[quote="matt"]The preview version has separated the programmers from the cores as separate entities in their own rights. I may not have all the package dependencies in place for auto installation of the programmer packages, so you may need to manually install the right programmer packages in the plugin manager.

Ah, I actually saw that but thought it was a special programmer (and obviously didn't try installing it, my bad!). When
I install that from plugin manager I now get Avrdude for Arduino boards as the programmer, but trying to load blink
gets:

Uploading firmware...
• Resetting board...
• Uploading sketch...
avrdude: can't open config file "/windows/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "/windows/avrdude.conf"

and indeed a search in Windows doesn't find any file called avrdude.conf anywhere

the debug console has this:

Context.java 937 (runSystemCommand): Execute: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude -D -V -patmega328p -PCOM3 -b115200 -C/windows/avrdude.conf -carduino -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\build-33ebcb87-b134-4c8b-a138-3d72fe0c31f8/Blink.hex:i -q -q

and following that indeed finds the avrduce.conf in

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude.conf

(don't know why windows search couldn't find it though!). So it looks like there is
a path missing in this command line. Indeed modifying this to:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude -D -V -patmega328p -PCOM3 -b115200 -CC:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude.conf -carduino -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\build-33ebcb87-b134-4c8b-a138-3d72fe0c31f8/Blink.hex:i -q -q

and executing it in a DOS window appears to load blink just fine. Do you want me to open a bug on this or is this enough?
vanepp

Postby vanepp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 pm

GastonLagaffe wrote:Salut,
to separate my two deployments on my windows PC is use:
C:\Opt\uecide-beta\UECIDE.exe --datadir="c:\UECIDEBETA"
C:\Opt\uecide-0.8.9-pre\UECIDE.exe --datadir="c:\UECIDEpre"

Ciao, Mathias

Thanks, but this doesn't appear to work for me with either stable or pre.

uninstall UCEIDE
delete c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE (which the uninstall doesn't!)
create c:\UECIDE_stable directory (tried without creating it and with, same result)
run as administrator a command prompt (so it can write to c:\)
then run
f:\distribution_files\uecide-0.8.8alpha22-full.exe --datadir="c:\UECIDE_stable"
modify default to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Majenko Technologies\UECIDE_stable
install
close
change UCEIDE shortcut to
UCEIDE_stab on desktop (so new install won't overwrite it!)
start UCEIDE_stab
and it creates and uses
c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE
as the data directory not c:\UECIDE_stable which remains empty.
uecide-0.8.9-pre3-full.exe
does the same.

Peter
vanepp

Postby vanepp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 am

The light finally dawned! I was applying the datadir to the installer which is incorrect. What I needed to be doing
is modifying the shortcut that launches UECIDE to have the --datadir parameter. Once I did that this works as expected.
I'll add the log of how I did this to my initial install post to possibly help some other new user. Thanks for the help guys!

Peter
vanepp

Postby matt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:42 pm

vanepp wrote:
matt wrote:The preview version has separated the programmers from the cores as separate entities in their own rights. I may not have all the package dependencies in place for auto installation of the programmer packages, so you may need to manually install the right programmer packages in the plugin manager.

Ah, I actually saw that but thought it was a special programmer (and obviously didn't try installing it, my bad!). When
I install that from plugin manager I now get Avrdude for Arduino boards as the programmer, but trying to load blink
gets:

Uploading firmware...
• Resetting board...
• Uploading sketch...
avrdude: can't open config file "/windows/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "/windows/avrdude.conf"

and indeed a search in Windows doesn't find any file called avrdude.conf anywhere

the debug console has this:

Context.java 937 (runSystemCommand): Execute: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude -D -V -patmega328p -PCOM3 -b115200 -C/windows/avrdude.conf -carduino -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\build-33ebcb87-b134-4c8b-a138-3d72fe0c31f8/Blink.hex:i -q -q

and following that indeed finds the avrduce.conf in

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude.conf

(don't know why windows search couldn't find it though!). So it looks like there is
a path missing in this command line. Indeed modifying this to:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude -D -V -patmega328p -PCOM3 -b115200 -CC:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\UECIDE\programmers\avrdude-arduino/windows/avrdude.conf -carduino -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\build-33ebcb87-b134-4c8b-a138-3d72fe0c31f8/Blink.hex:i -q -q

and executing it in a DOS window appears to load blink just fine. Do you want me to open a bug on this or is this enough?

The config file was missing a colon. It must have had a colonectomy at some point. Update the package in the plugin manager and try it now.
matt
Site Admin

Postby vanepp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm

matt wrote:
vanepp wrote:
matt wrote:The preview version has separated the programmers from the cores as separate entities in their own rights. I may not have all the package dependencies in place for auto installation of the programmer packages, so you may need to manually install the right programmer packages in the plugin manager.

<snip>

The config file was missing a colon. It must have had a colonectomy at some point. Update the package in the plugin manager and try it now.

Indeed from plug in manager an upgrade all didn't find anything, but Refresh then Upgrade All found the new version
and installed it and blink now compiles successfully. Great service and great product thanks for both!

Peter
vanepp

Return to Arduino / AVR