Love UECIDE? Why not consider supporting the development?

User registrations are now disabled on this site.

We have a new forum system

>> Click here to try it out. <<

Important information about 0.8.8alpha20

Whenever a new version of UECIDE is released it will be announced here.

Re: Important information about 0.8.8alpha20

Postby matt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:34 am

The IDE has no concept of #ifdef and that sort of thing - it can't "filter out" the headers you're not using at that moment in time, and as a result it compiles the libraries they point to regardless. I can add some armour around the Picadillo code so it doesn't get compiled if there is no DMA on the chip you're using, which will get you round that one problem.

I have been meaning to come up with a better way of parsing for includes - one that actively uses the compiler's preprocessor to do the work for me - but doing it in a completely portable (i.e., will work with other compilers too) way is not easy to say the least.
Why not visit my shop? http://majenko.co.uk/catalog
Universal IDE: http://uecide.org
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

I use UECIDE on: Linux

Postby w5uxh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Understood. No problem for now since I will be staying with the TFT-Complete library that works. Thanks.
w5uxh

I use UECIDE on: OS X

Postby matt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm interested to know which aspects specifically you find slow. Certain things are done differently in the Beta compared to the Stable, so it'd be good to know which of the "improvements" are making it slower.
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

Postby w5uxh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I will paste some of my notes below. While testing the different services yesterday, I just counted off seconds in my head so they are rough times, and my impression was none of the services really made a much difference when I turned them off. My guess is none of this will be useful to you since something drastic clearly is going on in my system (Mac Mini, OS X 10.9.5 - Mavericks, quad core, 16 GB). The current stable version and any older versions I have run in the past year since finding UECIDE (which is still infinitely better than MPIDE / Arduino) have always been pretty much instant for the operations like opening a project, opening and closing tabs in the editor, closing UECIDE etc. Opening UECIDE does take a few seconds, but all other typical operations are very fast.

My first notes before stopping any services:

Operations like changing the board type or port or opening or closing editor tabs take upwards of 8 to 15 seconds. I timed the closing of a tab roughly and it was about 7 seconds from the time I clicked it until it went away.

When I turned off the Tree Updater and Changed files services and stopped and restarted the IDE:

I clicked the X to close it and it is taking forever, probably at least one minute. It is slow coming back up again, and slow opening the project, and taking about 7 seconds to open a file in a tab, and about 5 seconds to close a tab.

(My note indicating a minute could be way longer than reality, it just seemed to be forever and was not typical for the beta22. As seen below, the next time it was "only" 4 seconds to close. The stable version closes "instantly" in comparison though.)

I then turned off the remaining services (the two Discovery ones):

It only took about 4 seconds to close UECIDE this time. This time it was about 12 seconds to run, about 15 seconds to open the project, about 4 seconds to open a tab, about 4 seconds to close a tab (all just timed by counting seconds approximately).

Let me know if you think of anything to check on my end, but as long as others are not having such problems, there is no point in you wasting time trying to guess what is happening here.
w5uxh

Postby matt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Hmmm... that all seems related to opening and closing of tabs / files, etc. Nothing much has changed in that area...

Do you have any specific look-and-feel or theme selected in preferences, or are you just on the "default" settings?
matt
Site Admin

Postby w5uxh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:31 pm

I am pretty sure it was the default, I have replaced it with the stable version now. Next time I play with it I need to keep both apps at the same time. Is there any way I can have two versions use different paths to the Library/uecide folder so I can swap back and forth easily?

I just tried it on the Macbook Air that I had first installed it on last week while out of town but had not spent much time with it. It does not have these problems.

I will try to look at it again on this machine later and let you know if it magically recovers some day.

To do a clean install on OS X, I have just been renaming the two uecide folders to "hide" them, one in Library and one in Documents. I was guessing this would clean out remnants.
w5uxh

Postby matt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm

If you run UECIDE from the command line you can append the flag "--datadir=/path/to/new/dir" to run it completely separately from any other installation.

I have been testing on a VM of Snow Leopard (the best I have) and I never see any problems like you describe. It must be something specific to Mavericks - maybe something about the version of Java on there.
matt
Site Admin

Postby w5uxh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks, I will use that when I get back to it. For now I will stay with the stable version while fighting some problems in my project.
w5uxh

Postby w5uxh » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:27 pm

FYI: I compared the java versions on the Mavericks and Yosemite systems and to my untrained eye, they would seem to be the same versions except for slightly different builds. I may eventually upgrade my Mavericks desktop (Mac Mini) to Yosemite to see if that fixes it. I have been reluctant to do that because I am sure there will be at least a few issues that I will have to run down. This was the case when I did the upgrade on the laptop as a test.

Mac Mini Mavericks / "very slow operation":
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

Macbook Air Yosemite / "normal operation" :
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4828a)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)

matt wrote:I have been testing on a VM of Snow Leopard (the best I have) and I never see any problems like you describe. It must be something specific to Mavericks - maybe something about the version of Java on there.
w5uxh

Postby DrOldies » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:37 am

o.8.8alpha22 bundle or full is locking up at the THEMES... on my Windows 8.1. Must reboot the computer to remove the splash screen. Previous betas and the release version install without any problems. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the same problem.
DrOldies

I use UECIDE on: Windows

PreviousNext

Return to Release Announcements