Love UECIDE? Why not consider supporting the development?

User registrations are now disabled on this site.

We have a new forum system

>> Click here to try it out. <<

Important information about 0.8.8alpha20

Whenever a new version of UECIDE is released it will be announced here.

Re: Important information about 0.8.8alpha20

Postby w5uxh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:09 pm

On my first attempt to compile using the beta version in a virtual Ubuntu machine running on OS X, I have a "No such file or directory" error but the pic32-g++ file seems to be present:

uecide-file-not-found.jpg

I hope my problem is some simple user mistake, is there anything obvious?

At least I do not have the problems I experience when running the OS X beta where things take forever. Things operate as smoothly in the virtual Ubuntu environment as they do in the stable version on OS X.

(I thought I got the current beta: 0.8.8alpha22, but the About window says it is 0.8.8alpha21.)

If I get the Linux version working, I will probably set up a dedicated desktop to continue testing but I hope I can first get the virtual Ubuntu going.
w5uxh

I use UECIDE on: OS X

Postby matt » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:25 pm

My guess is you are running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. Unfortunately the pic32 compiler is only available for 32-bit, so needs the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed to be able to run.

On Debian I run:

Code: Select all
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get install libc6-i386 libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386
Why not visit my shop? http://majenko.co.uk/catalog
Universal IDE: http://uecide.org
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

I use UECIDE on: Linux

Postby w5uxh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:29 pm

OK, sounds simple enough, I will try a 32 bit Ubuntu. I found Ubuntu seems to be better for me than Debian since I am a complete novice with Linux. I was trying a Debian VM at the same time and could not even get Emacs installed and VI is way too foreign to me!

Thanks.
w5uxh

Postby matt » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:30 pm

The same commands should be usable on Ubuntu - if the packages are named the same. Try those two commands on your Ubuntu 64 installation and see what the result is.
"I was trying to find out if it was possible to only eat one Jaffa Cake. I had to abandon the experiment because I ran out of Jaffa Cakes".
matt
Site Admin

Postby w5uxh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Ah, clearly I did not read carefully enough and understand what you were saying (and saying clearly :D )

The black magic worked. Thanks again.
w5uxh

Postby w5uxh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:19 pm

I have made good progress in getting the beta to work in OS X El Capitan, Windows 10, and Ubuntu (Virtual Machines in VMWare Fusion and Virtual Box).

My work around for the targeting of multiple ChipKit boards as well as the Picadillo is not unreasonable: In all source files that previously included Picadillo.h I now include HidePicadillo.h. I have a single include for Picadillo.h in the new header that I comment out manually when targeting ChipKit boards.

Normally I concentrate for awhile on either the Picadillo or the ChipKit boards, so when I change boards the first compile will remind me to also comment out that single line.

Thanks for all the help! I would never have been able to stand MPIDE and MPLAB-X (?) would have been too difficult for me to face, so UECIDE is great.

matt wrote:The IDE has no concept of #ifdef and that sort of thing - it can't "filter out" the headers you're not using at that moment in time, and as a result it compiles the libraries they point to regardless. I can add some armour around the Picadillo code so it doesn't get compiled if there is no DMA on the chip you're using, which will get you round that one problem.

I have been meaning to come up with a better way of parsing for includes - one that actively uses the compiler's preprocessor to do the work for me - but doing it in a completely portable (i.e., will work with other compilers too) way is not easy to say the least.
w5uxh

Postby w5uxh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 pm

I have made good progress in getting the beta to work in OS X El Capitan, Windows 10, and Ubuntu (Virtual Machines in VMWare Fusion and Virtual Box).

My work around for the targeting of multiple ChipKit boards as well as the Picadillo is not unreasonable: In all source files that previously included Picadillo.h I now include HidePicadillo.h. I have a single include for Picadillo.h in the new header that I comment out manually when targeting ChipKit boards.

Normally I concentrate for awhile on either the Picadillo or the ChipKit boards, so when I change boards the first compile will remind me to also comment out that single line.

Thanks for all the help! I would never have been able to stand MPIDE and MPLAB-X (?) would have been too difficult for me to face, so UECIDE is great.

matt wrote:The IDE has no concept of #ifdef and that sort of thing - it can't "filter out" the headers you're not using at that moment in time, and as a result it compiles the libraries they point to regardless. I can add some armour around the Picadillo code so it doesn't get compiled if there is no DMA on the chip you're using, which will get you round that one problem.

I have been meaning to come up with a better way of parsing for includes - one that actively uses the compiler's preprocessor to do the work for me - but doing it in a completely portable (i.e., will work with other compilers too) way is not easy to say the least.
w5uxh

Postby matt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:19 am

The latest version of DisplayCore should only do anything with Picadillo.h if the define _BOARD_PICADILLO_35T_ is defined.
matt
Site Admin

Postby w5uxh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:49 am

I tested with the clean Ubuntu installation I just did yesterday (?) without success. I went into the plugin manager and clicked on "upgrade all" and still no luck. In the screen shot below, if I comment out the #include line, it compiles when targeting the uC32 board but when I remove the slashes as seen in the image, it fails trying to compile the Picadillo library. Something simple and dumb on my part I hope?

Picadiil.jpg

matt wrote:The latest version of DisplayCore should only do anything with Picadillo.h if the define _BOARD_PICADILLO_35T_ is defined.
w5uxh

Postby matt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 am

No, actually something stupid on my part. I ran the wrong command when packaging and it didn't update the version number - so it never uploaded. Just building again now.
matt
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Release Announcements